JOB Vacancy Announcement #: (970)
Job Title: Area Manager
Application deadline: 25.08.2018
Nothing To mention
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
– University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
– At least 5 years’ post-qualification experience in a management position.
– Experience managing budgets and overseeing financial expenditure.
– Excellent English (spoken and written).
– Excellent Arabic (spoken and written).
– Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
– Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector.
– Security management training.
– Leadership training.
– Experience of Health and Nutrition programming.
– Experience of WASH and Shelter programming in urban environments.
– Experience of managing support functions (logistics, HR, finance).
– Experience of managing engineering contracts.
– Experience with data analysis packages, use of tablets & smartphones & associated software in assessments.
Working as a senior member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Area Manager oversees overall implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, management and evaluation in the field location, the Area Manager also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
– Lead the team to achieve delivery of the designated project(s) in the field location in accordance with the project proposals and working closely with the sector officers to ensure objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. In consultation with the Project Coordinator –Syria, ensure preventative and corrective action is taken where necessary.
– Manage an integrated cross-sector activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project deliverables.
– Support the sector officers in day-to-day decision making as requested
– Support the sector officers in the coordination of needs assessments as required.
– In conjunction with the Project Coordinator, ensure that regular monitoring is conducted against project objectives and reports made to the relevant in-country sector leads or HQ advisors.
– Maintain an overview of the local context with a view to the strategic development of new projects, advising the Project Coordinator and Country Director accordingly.
– Support the Project Coordinator in the development and production of new concepts and proposals as necessary.
– Ensure complete and timely reporting internally and to any other relevant bodies, with the approval of the Project Coordinator.
– Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs) to facilitate the work of Medair.
– As Head of Office, represent Medair at relevant meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships in Deir Ez- Zor Governorate.
– Initiate, as appropriate, the approval processes (MOUs, projects, annual renewal of agreements, reports) required by the Governor of Deir Ez- Zor office at the organization and project levels.
Support and Financial Management:
– Oversee the set-up of the Deir Ez-Zor field office ensuring the securing of appropriate facilities and equipment as per Medair procedures.
– Oversee local project support functions (logistics, HR, finance), managing day to day activities in accordance with Medair procedures, in liaison with support function leads based in Damascus.
– Ensure all relevant documents related to the designated project(s) are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines
– Work with the relevant Sector officers to ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and within the appropriate timeframe, making recommendations to the Project Coordinator for any budget adjustments as necessary.
– Assist the Project Coordinator in constructing budgets for future projects, in collaboration with relevant Sector staff.
– Provide the cash needs forecast to Finance Damascus on weekly/monthly basis as required for designated areas of responsibility.
– Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated field location are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
– Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team
– Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace.
– Monitor and review the security status of the area(s) of operation on a day-to-day basis, ensuring the safety of Office and Staff, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies and provide regular updates to the Project Coordinator and Country Director
– In conjunction with the Project Coordinator, ensure all staff members working for the designated projects and all visitors receive appropriate briefings.
– Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
– In conjunction with the Project Coordinator, ensure security plans and protocols for the area(s) of operation are prepared, kept updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
– Function as Security Liaison (internal and external) for the completion of movement permissions, to be submitted for approval by Country Director, within the overall country procedures, and act as local SFP (Security Focal Point) during field trips within the governorate, in liaison with the Project Coordinator.
– Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Duty Station: دير الزور
How to Apply:
Please send your CV to the following email:
عبر الرابط التالي:
Please consider to mention the advert ID (Above) and the job title in the email subject.